expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

4 Mar 2014

Skincare Routine for Mid 30's

I have been delaying writing this until I was in a position to actually say whether the products I was using were keepers or not, and eventually my skin has levelled out and I can get on with the waffling.

To start with I had better describe my skin. I have oily skin with no dry patches, I use very light moisturisers and not every day.  Having oily skin is a bit of a mixed blessing as it is a pain to deal with now, but I am assured it will be a good thing in the long term, still waiting to see evidence of this though. 

Another point worth mentioning is that I only play higher prices for products if it has been shown (with very little doubt) that the products in question really work.  For some parts of my routine I use cheap products, as they are on my skin for a minute max and so do not have time to work much magic! However other parts I will happily pay extra for, if that is the only way I can get the benefit of that particular skincare element. 

skincare-routine-for-mid-30's

Evening


I usually bathe/shower after dinner as this give me extra time in the morning and gives my skin plenty of no-makeup time.  I use face washes as I like to make sure all the oil is gone and only a wash I feel can do this completely.  I try to use relatively mild ones to stop irritation and my current go-to is the Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash.  This promises to brighten your complexion into the bargain, although I'm not sure how in the small window of time that it is on my face.  I really like this and regularly use it with my Clarisonic Mia to give a thorough cleanse.  It isn't amazing at eye makeup removal as it can sting a bit, but my skin is so clean after using this that I feel this is worth the pay off.  This removes make up really well without leaving my skin too squeky.

Once I have cleansed I wipe off any remaining eye makeup with a micellar water (see previous post) to remove the last traces of eye makeup.  Then it's onto every beauty bloggers favourite - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo.  I can honestly say this has changed my skin immeasurably.  Before I would break out each month and now there is not one jot of difference in my skin all month long.  I can't say it has gotten rid of my annoying mildly clogged pores but it stops them developed into full blown spots, which will do for me. I apply this in a thin layer all over my face.

I then usually apply ROC Retinol Correxion Night Cream for Sensitive Skin on any areas that are starting to show fine lines, this needs to be done at night as Retinol can actually damage instead of repair skin if used during the day due to UV.  I tried this sensitive version as an alternative to their standard formula (it was a quarter of the price) and I don't much like it.  It hasn't the same potency (this is because it is supposed to be less irritating to sensitive skin) but because if this it doesn't really do much.  I will be going back to my old favourite once this is used up.  I particularly like retinol creams to help repair my skin after a holiday in the sun, they improve the texture ten fold.

Thats me done for the night.  This usually takes me under 3 minutes.

Morning


In the morning I wash my face again with the same facial wash to remove any sebum produced overnight and to freshen my skin up, then I exfoliate with Soap and Glory's Scrub Your Nose In It.  I love this stuff, it has just the right amount of "grit" in it to physically remove any dead skin cells.  I like to use a physical exfoliator in the morning to make my skin look fresh it also helps remove any debris produced from the chemical exfoliant I applied last night ( Efaclar duo has BHA's in it that clear out pores, but obviously this then has no where to go.)I find exfoliating my skin now helps my foundation to apply smoothly.

Once clean I apply hyaluronic acid. I use a pretty generic version with a pipette applicator, I think this stuff is much of a muchness and more money doesn't seem to alter the efficacy.  Mine is called Balance Hyaluronic 554 Youth Serum and it was just £5.  I use it to help lock in moisture during the day under my foundation so my skin doesn't get that dusty look.  Next I apply a day cream with SPF.  I am currently using and loving Olay's Essential Complete Care with Multi Radiance.  It has A SPF of 15 plus vitamin E, B and also Niacinamide.  I got this for just over £5 on offer in Superdug.  It feels light, smells lovely and fresh and absorbs very quickly (under 3 mins) to leave a matte finish.

Thats me done.  Again about 3 minutes.

One Off Treatment


If I do get a spot, or the beginnings of what may be one, I use some seriously strong stuff I bought on amazon. It is called Panoxyl and is the most drying thing I have ever put on my skin.  It is designed to be used by acne sufferers and contains 10% Benzoyl Peroxide (which is A LOT) but can be used as an occasional treatment too.  This stuff makes light work of any spots and seriously reduces their lifespan by at least half. I believe it has been discontinued in the UK but there appears to be a very similar alternative called Quinoderm that contains the same active ingredient at a similar price.  One small note, this needs to be used just on the spot as it is too dry for the rest of your skin.

Heres an list of all the products without the waffle

Evening


Morning


Hopefully this is of use to some other thirty somethings dealing with the first signs of the advancing years.

For more of my inane over-obsessive beauty ramblings, feel free to subscribe with bloglovin on the top right.




6 comments:

  1. That was a great post! I've been eyeing up the La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo, especially as it's 1/3 off on Escentual at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should buy it, it's is as good as everyone says, now if it could zap away all my fine lines too, I would bathe in the stuff x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Have you read Caroline Hirons' site? Following her advice changed my skin. I may be getting older, but my skin seems to look younger! She also has a video with the Pixiwoo girls.
    Diane in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at Caroline's Site, it looks great http://www.carolinehirons.com. I am bookmarking it to read later she seems to talk a lot of sense.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed this post! I use the Balance Active Youth Serum as well! I'd love a Clarisonic as well, have to be saving my pennies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Balance stuff is great isn't it, so easy to put on, it just sinks straight in. The Clarisonic is okay, but not amazing, I did a post ages ago on it as I felt it didn't live up to the hype http://relaxedchic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/is-clarisonic-worth-money.html#.UxsRLNziND8 . I think it is massively overpriced. I saw one in the US and it was only £60 there, I reckon that is about what it's worth. xx

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative